Friday, June 21, 2013

Oh my! I'm back!!!

And it wasn't a giant gap in between posts. Things are getting crazy in the Benson household.

We did the "scheduled" day two activity and guess what?! He loved it! I was sure that he would play with it for 20 seconds and be on his way. When it comes to these activities, I don't show him what to do. I don't model, instruct, or guide. It's 100% open to his interpretation of what he wants to do with it. I think it's important for kids to have complete free play most of the time. They have their whole lives to have to be organized and contained. If he discards it within a minute or two, that's fine. If he just wants to dump it all out and go about his business, that's fine too.

However! He totally played with it and was legit angry when we had to go inside for dinner. We even went back out after dinner and played with it some more. He scooped and dumped. He picked up one bean at a time and placed it into an ice cream scoop. He picked it up and let it fall out of his hand slowly. What he DIDN'T do was dump the whole tray over. Surprising! And he didn't try to eat anything. REALLY surprising. It was awesome! All the while, I say back and observed, taking mental notes and having a little bit of quiet, mom time.

I think I'll just keep a running log on every post showing the activities. It's the only way I'll be able to keep up with myself.

When he wakes up from his nap, we'll do day 3's activities. Until then...

Day 3
Jell-o play

Day 2
Dried bean, lentil, & noodle play.

Day 1
Water play. Red, blue, and green dyed water.

No comments:

Post a Comment